Interested in starting your own entrepreneurial journey in personal development but unsure what to expect? Then read up on our interview with Tara Coyote, Founder of Wind Horse Sanctuary, located in Kapaa, HI, USA.
What's your business, and who are your customers?
I work as a life coach, author of two best-selling books, and Equine Facilitated Learning instructor, and I sell custom-designed men, women's, and kid's t-shirts with beautiful Hawaii horse and mermaid designs on them. For the coaching and EFL sessions, I work in person with my horses and also on Zoom. Most of my clients tend to be women in their 30's and up who are interested in self-development and healing.
Tell us about yourself
I had always had a great love of horses and knew innately about their healing potential when I was a young child. When I was in a very challenging circumstance about 12 years ago, I was drawn to personally do equine therapy for my own healing. This profound experience led me to sell my successful Pilates business and train with Linda Kohanov, the best-selling author of 'The Tao of Equus' at Eponaquest, to work with people in a healing capacity with horses. I eventually ended up acquiring four horses and started my own horse retreat center, Wind Horse Sanctuary, to teach workshops and lead private sessions.
I had an experience where I almost died from stage 4 cancer four years ago. I ended up writing my best-selling book, 'Grace, Grit & Gratitude: A Cancer Thriver's Journey from Hospice to Full Recovery with the Healing Power of Horses' sharing my story of healing from cancer with the help of my horses. It brings me joy to know that my story can help give others hope in light of the fear that is associated with cancer. What motivates me every day to do what I do is a sense of knowing that my story and connection with horses can help others find a sense of hope and healing.
What's your biggest accomplishment as a business owner?
- Running a successful horse retreat center for five years, where hundreds of individuals attended private sessions and group workshops.
- Writing my memoir, which took an incredible amount of dedication and hard work. I worked on it every single day for a year and a half. Writing and publishing a book is no joke and takes tremendous perseverance!
What's one of the hardest things that comes with being a business owner?
Staying organized and focused to do the tasks needs to be done in order to run a successful business and/or write books.
What are the top tips you'd give to anyone looking to start, run and grow a business today?
- Don't give up. Great feats are accomplished when one truly believes in bringing his/her vision to fruition. You can do it!
- Every challenge has a tremendous opportunity to grow you. Turn your obstacles into a learning experience.
- Each of us has a unique gift to share with the world. Don't be afraid to let your light shine! You never know when following your vision will help others.
Where can people find you and your business?
If you like what you've read here and have your own story as a solo or small business entrepreneur that you'd like to share, then please answer these interview questions. We'd love to feature your journey on these pages.
Turn your craft into recurring revenue with Subkit. Start your subscription offering in minutes and supercharge it with growth levers. Get early access here.