Interested in starting your own entrepreneurial journey in business services but unsure what to expect? Then read up on our interview with Mike L. Murphy, Founder of The Visionary Planner, located in Penn Valley, CA, USA.
What's your business, and who are your customers?
My business is The Visionary Planner. I help my clients clarify their brand's messaging and then help them build their website, branding, and content and plan their offers and funnels out. This helps them increase revenue and get laser-focused on the value they provide to their customers.
3 Ways We Help Our Clients:
- Plan their message, so it’s clear and powerful
- Give clear instructions to build their branding out
- Give coaching and feedback, so they stay on track and create a brand they love
2 Ways We are Different:
- We give a COMPLETE, A-to-Z System that took 10 years to develop, so clients always know what to do next
- The system is built upon Hollywood Storytelling
Tell us about yourself
I worked in Hollywood for 15 years (Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Iron Man). During this time, students asked me to mentor them, so I started an online coaching brand. Within 6 months, I was able to quit my supervising role in the movie industry and work from home. I love creating things... and movies and small businesses are about as complex! So it's always a fun challenge to work with clients and help them build a brand that is authentic to them.
Here is my award-winning personal brand site: https://mikelmurphy.com
What's your biggest accomplishment as a business owner?
My biggest accomplishment is knowing I help my clients save 100s of hours of trial and error. Building a solid foundation for a brand is overwhelming, with so many moving parts! I help streamline that with a straightforward step-by-step system that takes the guesswork out of getting online.
What's one of the hardest things that come with being a business owner?
One of the hardest things is the unpredictable nature of running a business. It's a lot like having kids! You think something will go as planned, but it rarely does! For this reason, being an entrepreneur comes with a lot of 'hidden costs,' but in the end, I've found it to be worth it. I'll never go back to my days of working for others and building their dreams.
What are the top tips you'd give to anyone looking to start, run and grow a business today?
- Set clear goals. If you aren't clear on what you're working towards, you'll waste time, money, and energy.
- Don't give up! It will NEVER go as planned, and only the most dedicated will show up day after day, even when things aren't going well.
- Be clear on your vision for your audience! 99% of your clients are overwhelmed with life, so you need to show up with a clear value proposition and a clear vision of how you'll help them solve the urgent problems that are stressing them out. Your brand will only survive if people pay you, and to get paid, you need a very clear roadmap of how you'll help them.
Where can people find you and your business?
If you like what you've read here and have your own story as a solo or small business entrepreneur that you'd like to share, then please answer these interview questions. We'd love to feature your journey on these pages.
Turn your craft into recurring revenue with Subkit. Start your subscription offering in minutes and supercharge it with growth levers. Get early access here.