Interested in starting your own entrepreneurial journey in business development but unsure what to expect? Then read up on our interview with Arnel Tanyag, owner of Tanyag & Company, located in Virginia Beach, VA, USA.
What's your business, and who are your customers?
I partner with Family Owned Businesses in Real Estate, Construction, and Trades to Become Saleable Middle Market Companies. I help my customers with the following:
- They want to scale up their business from 5 Million in Revenue to 50 Million in Revenue in the next 3 to 5 years.
- They want to be that 20% to 30% of businesses that go to market and sell, knowing they have chosen the right exit option for themselves and their business to ensure they have been able to harvest wealth and pursue other endeavors without any regret.
- They have business partners and or work with family members. Communication is tense or lack of communication, with no standards, processes, systems, shared purpose, or agreement upon a business plan with key objectives for growth, no accountability, and no exit strategy in place.
- They hire the wrong people because there is no hiring process for talent, no development plan, training, and coaching of new hires to become leaders in the company.
- They have no accountability and time to focus on their goals and objectives for their future. They are living day-to-day. Their business is running them—no written plan, no processes and systems, and no succession plan for a leadership team to grow the business exponentially to get them out as owner-operator or owner-manager. They are a "Boss."
- They feel alone. There is no one to think, share, support, or challenge ideas, thoughts, and issues who understands the journey of growing a successful business (No Sounding Board).
- They need to be balanced. Your family will understand. They are building a great business but sacrificing their family (wife and kids) during this journey because someone told them that this is what you do to grow a successful company. Business first, family second.
Tell us about yourself
I have been working with small business owners since November 2011. I had always wanted to work with business owners, even as a registered nurse with a bachelor of science in nursing. I took a leap of faith and started my journey in entrepreneurship. What motivates me is to see business owners like me "Design and Build an Ideal Lifestyle, not just a Business," not build a business with regret.
What's your biggest accomplishment as a business owner?
Seeing several business owners who are clients of mine had great results in growing their businesses and living an ideal lifestyle with their families.
What's one of the hardest things that comes with being a business owner?
The business development of new clients that are ideal for my business.
What are the top tips you'd give to anyone looking to start, run and grow a business today?
- Find the right relationships to help you pursue your goals and objectives in your business and life.
- Do not be afraid to say, "I do not know," and "I need help."
- Invest in personal development and improving your business skills for yourself and your team.
Where can people find you and your business?
If you like what you've read here and have your own story as a solo or small business entrepreneur that you'd like to share, then please answer these interview questions. We'd love to feature your journey on these pages.
Turn your craft into recurring revenue with Subkit. Start your subscription offering in minutes and supercharge it with growth levers. Get early access here.