Interested in starting your own entrepreneurial journey in business development but unsure what to expect? Then read up on our interview with Suzanne Reilley, Business Coach and Marketing Strategist, located in Mechanicsburg, PA, USA.
What's your business, and who are your customers?
I offer business strategy, marketing direction, and conversion-focused copy... So your favorite leads engage with your business, happily purchase your services, and tell their friends to do the same. I work with online business owners in the following industries: B corporations, social justice, environmental protection and sustainability, heart-centered solopreneurs, mission-driven brands with personality, and similar. My clients are often looking for clear, actionable advice on things they can tweak, do, or shift to grow their businesses.
Tell us about yourself
I didn’t have an interest in marketing or business until I was thrown into having to get my own clients in my first job out of college (in another industry). I actually came to enjoy the process of connecting with people and helping to solve their problems. To me, brand positioning and digital marketing are really fun games of legos. I get to listen to the business owner’s passions and what they want to create in the world. I also get to listen skillfully to what their ideal clients want most. And I stitch those things together into marketing funnels, offers, etc., which are a win-win for both. Plus, when I write conversion-focused copy, I get to bring all the business owner’s brilliance to the forefront and highlight what makes them unique! I love that.
What's your biggest accomplishment as a business owner?
Here are a few top outcomes I created for global clients:
- Shaped messaging for top 3 sales cycles in 20-year company history.
- Sold out an event one month early, with only three emails (and oversold it once more seats opened up).
- Crafted core message of a Facebook ad which led to 816,599 people being reached, 61,810 engagements, 2512 reactions, 205 comments, and 930 shares.
- Drafted the single best-performing landing page ever @ 84% conversions. (which, with a large number of conversions, was a statistically significant difference with >95% confidence. i.e., not the result of random variation).”
- In a previous business, I was featured in The Washington Post and invited to teach at an award-winning international destination spa, Rancho la Puerta.
- Do you remember DailyCandy, the highly addictive and wildly successful brand for fashion and lifestyle-conscious women? DailyCandy featured me when they were at the top of their game.
- I worked individually with over 100 clients (and helped 1000s more through my teachings, courses, ebook, and interviews).
- And booked 25 weekly 1:1 private client sessions in 2 months’ time.
What's one of the hardest things that comes with being a business owner?
Wearing many hats. Building the future while managing the present. Setting appropriate client expectations. While I’m strong in my work, building a brand (which interacts with humans in any way!) comes with a lot of unknowns and moving parts.
What are the top tips you'd give to anyone looking to start, run and grow a business today?
- Understand the skills you need to grow the business you want. Lean into your strengths and learn or hire for the rest.
- 90% of a business is in the day-to-day processes, so structure those in a way you’ll enjoy for max fulfillment and sustainability.
- Create the best business structure and offers you can, then before long, test them out with a real audience because starting, running, and growing a business is an iterative process. Even the best in the business test, learn, refine, and repeat.
Where can people find you and your business?
If you like what you've read here and have your own story as a solo or small business entrepreneur that you'd like to share, then please answer these interview questions. We'd love to feature your journey on these pages.
Turn your craft into recurring revenue with Subkit. Start your subscription offering in minutes and supercharge it with growth levers. Get early access here.