Interested in starting your own entrepreneurial journey but unsure what to expect? Then read up on our interview with Quinn Conyers, Founder of Speak to Society LLC, located in Baltimore, MD, USA.
What's your business, and who are your customers?
I transform average events into EPIC experiences as Keynote Speaker and Event Emcee. I partner with event and meeting planners to ensure their event is mind-blowing and not boring, so attendees, speakers, and sponsors rave and return consistently.
Tell us about yourself
I've been a professional speaker and Emcee for 17 years. I started in college when I actually enjoyed my intro to the public speaking class. Since then, I've spoken to thousands of people, showing them how to turn conversations into cash and be a compelling communicator. As an Emcee, I enjoy being calm when things get chaotic in the event planning world. I stay motivated by understanding I get to do what I love for a living, and my audience embraces my authentic speaking style.
What's your biggest accomplishment as a business owner?
I have several accomplishments:
- I was named 2021 Dream in Black Future Maker by AT&T.
- I was named 20 Black women Entrepreneurs to Watch from Black Women Hustle.
- I created an Emcee in Residence program for brands and organizations that host multiple events in a year.
- My high school, JP McCaskey, named me a 2021 Distinguished Alumni.
- I hosted events alongside Shark Tanks Daymond John and Celebrity DJ Spinderella.
What's one of the hardest things that come with being a business owner?
Learning to manage my money AND sanity with the ups and downs of cash flow. Being a full-time entrepreneur can have months when the money is pouring in and the next not so much. It's hard, and many people give up or get a job for more stability which is totally understandable. Entrepreneurship looks sexy, but it isn't easy.
What are the top tips you'd give to anyone looking to start, run and grow a business today?
- Narrow your Niche. Get crystal clear on who you can super-serve. For example, It should be just "event planners" but event planners who host multiple events in a year and hire Emcees.
- Pick a social media platform to dominate (All platforms are not created equal, and business owners can get burned out trying to be on ALL of them. Pick one where you target client lives and serve them content consistently.
- Use luxury language and NOT discount dialect when marketing your product or service. Make sure you are using wealthy words and not weak words when communicating your business with the world.
Is there anything else you'd like to share?
Transitioning, re-branding, or expanding your brand is OK as an entrepreneur. Where you start and where you start going in the business journey may change, and business owners need to embrace that.
Where can people find you and your business?
If you like what you've read here and have your own story as a solo or small business entrepreneur that you'd like to share, then please answer these interview questions. We'd love to feature your journey on these pages.
Turn your craft into recurring revenue with Subkit. Start your subscription offering in minutes and supercharge it with growth levers. Get early access here.