Interested in starting your own entrepreneurial journey in business development but unsure what to expect? Then read up on our interview with Robyn James, Soul-led Brand Consultant, Business Mentor, and Co-Creator, located in Calgary, AB, Canada.
What's your business, and who are your customers?
I started my brand & marketing agency, Studio Co.Creative, in 2017 to help purpose-driven entrepreneurs be seen as leaders in their industry. Through this work, though, I realized that brand strategy is often the missing (and most important) link when building and growing a business... and further, that brand building must begin at the soul level of the business and entrepreneur.
Honing in on this focus – building brands from the soul up – has evolved my work into consulting, guiding, teaching, and mentoring the 'new wave' of entrepreneurs: the ones who are here to do it differently and who are leading with both intelligence and intuition to change the world in their own unique way.
Tell us about yourself
I have a Bachelor of Commerce and marketing & sales experience, but as I embarked on my spiritual journey, I realized these two worlds go hand-in-hand: soul AND strategy, one informing the other. Since Day 1 of my entrepreneurial journey, I have been on a mission to create more authenticity in marketing. I love seeing this lightbulb go on in my clients – there's a moment when they see their business (and themselves) in a whole new light, recognizing the power of their purpose & gifts and letting that fuel an even BIGGER vision. I truly believe that entrepreneurship is a portal for self-discovery and -actualization brand-building just happens to be the vehicle I use to get there.
What's your biggest accomplishment as a business owner?
It deeply moves me to reflect on how many brilliant, heart-centered entrepreneurs have entrusted me with their business. Hearing "you changed my life" is bigger than any tangible accomplishment.
What's one of the hardest things that come with being a business owner?
- Entrepreneurship will bring up every fear, insecurity, doubt, and negative story you have… and your business growth is dependent on you facing it (and healing it). Learning how to do this – while still keeping the lights on – is probably the hardest thing any entrepreneur will face... and this work is never done!
- Treating your business like an actual business. It can be so easy for entrepreneurs with big hearts to succumb to lax boundaries, doing work for free and making compromises to 'get the sale.' Granted, these experiences offer powerful lessons, but there comes the point in time where saying no and staying in alignment must become the focus.
What are the top tips you'd give to anyone looking to start, run and grow a business today?
- Go ALL IN on trusting and owning your uniqueness. The world has enough cookie-cutter brands, and we are collectively bored of inauthenticity. You have magic inside of you – no one wins when you hide it.
- Learn as much as you can about yourself, whether that's through psychological tools (i.e., Meyers-Briggs), workplace assessments (i.e., Sparketype), or spiritual tools (i.e., Human Design). This will help you stay in alignment and not get swayed by shiny object syndrome or waste precious resources on the wrong courses/coaches/teachers/strategies.
- Treat your business with the reverence of a sacred pursuit, but (paradoxically) don't take it so seriously! It's important to do your best and serve your people deeply, but it's just as important to lighten up and have fun with it. The best ideas come from taking time to rest and play. (I am still learning this one!!)
Is there anything else you'd like to share?
What this all comes down to: know yourself, trust yourself, love yourself. Success is waiting for you on the other side.
Where can people find you and your business?
If you like what you've read here and have your own story as a solo or small business entrepreneur that you'd like to share, then please answer these interview questions. We'd love to feature your journey on these pages.
Turn your craft into recurring revenue with Subkit. Start your subscription offering in minutes and supercharge it with growth levers. Get early access here.