Interested in starting your own entrepreneurial journey in health and wellness but unsure what to expect? Then read up on our interview with Amanda Mazarov, Founder of PranaFlo, located in Los Angeles, CA, USA.
What's your business, and who are your customers?
PranaFlo offers mindfulness practices, including Breathwork Pranayama and Meditation, to help you reduce stress, fatigue, and burnout and live in a state of peace, joy, and balance. I work with people from all walks of life who suffer from stress, anxiety, and burnout and generally feel a lack of balance that manifests itself one way or another.
Tell us about yourself
I felt stuck in a stressful retail management job. I was trying to find ways to cope through fitness and nutrition, which led me to obtain certification in personal training. However, I still didn't feel in balance. The job was slowly eating at my soul. I was trying everything, yet there was still an emptiness inside as if a black hole was pulling me in. My anxiety attacks were more frequent, and I was physically and mentally exhausted, eventually leading to burnout.
That's when breathwork found me. I made simple changes to my breathing and learned ancient breathing techniques that helped not only my physical health but also my mental wellness. I had more energy, mental strength, and a new perspective. I felt more joyful and in better health, making work-life balance possible. I have since been rewarded with the blessings of breathwork many times over and decided to take the leap of faith in hopes of spreading the joy and many benefits of working with our breath. Stress, fatigue, and burnout have become common in the workplace, but it doesn't have to be.
Every day I wake up motivated to inspire people to find balance within and to share with the world that it doesn't take a big effort. It's as easy as breathing.
What's your biggest accomplishment as a business owner?
Launching 'Transform' The Complete Breathwork & Pranayama Course was one of my biggest accomplishments and, by far, the most rewarding experience. For a few years, I carefully crafted every detail of the 60+ videos. From planning and writing to filming, recording, and editing, so much love has been put into every lesson and session. The entire journey of creating Transform has helped me grow and feel whole again. I wanted to create affordable and easily accessible care. Seeing that this course is changing peoples' lives has made the journey worth it.
What's one of the hardest things that come with being a business owner?
It can be lonely. Transitioning into a life where you work alone, wear all the hats, and decide your own structure can be so freeing and yet, at the same time, bring new challenges and pressures. Your hours become nontraditional. You focus most of your attention on work and don't always have time to socialize.
Additionally, not everyone will understand your journey, your vision, and your struggles. It took time for me to let go of some expectations and realize that there are people who go through the same things.
What are the top tips you'd give to anyone looking to start, run and grow a business today?
- There is a yogi that once said, "If life is about sharing the joy that you are, everything will work out." Ask yourself, are you serving others? What is the intention you have set for yourself and your business? If it's about serving and providing value, you most likely won't quit, no matter the challenges or uncertainties.
- Believe. No one will believe in your vision until you do. You have to believe in it more than others. Sometimes you doubt yourself, don't know what you're doing, and want to quit.
- Stay patient. The journey is long. There's no such thing as an overnight success. Things take time to develop and progress, so hold your vision close to your heart, believe, and keep going.
- Work on yourself and your energy.
- Get used to being uncomfortable. Entrepreneurship, especially in the beginning, is all about saying yes and putting yourself in situations where you don't always feel comfortable. Don't compare yourself to others, and just start. After all, it's all about the journey.
Where can people find you and your business?
If you like what you've read here and have your own story as a solo or small business entrepreneur that you'd like to share, then please answer these interview questions. We'd love to feature your journey on these pages.
Turn your craft into recurring revenue with Subkit. Start your subscription offering in minutes and supercharge it with growth levers. Get early access here.