Interested in starting your own entrepreneurial journey in personal development but unsure what to expect? Then read up on our interview with Joanne Kim,
Licensed Marriage And Family Therapist at OliveMe Counseling, located in San Jose, CA, USA.
What's your business, and who are your customers?
I have three businesses that help people connect with and draw out their true selves:
- OliveMe Counseling - A therapy practice where I help people grow out of their painful reactive autopilot patterns using the Enneagram.
- Intelligent Emotions - An online course that helps people with BIG feelings master the language of feelings to create the life and relationships they've always wanted.
- Havenly Counseling Collective - A community of healing professionals that helps therapists build vibrant businesses that allow them to fully show up for their clients.
My main audience are Healers, Dreamers, and Feelers:
- those who are so focused on tuning into others' needs that they often forget their own
- Highly Sensitive Persons & Empaths
- people in caregiving roles or helping professionals
- Enneagram 1s, 2s, 4s, and 9s
Tell us about yourself
As a firstborn queer daughter of an immigrant family who's grown up in the church, I've learned how to keep my head down, keep my mouth shut, and be the "good" (i.e., easy kid). I lived most of my life repressed and numb until I just couldn't take it anymore. Building my first business (OliveMe Counseling) was a very personal healing journey as I worked through my insecurities and head trash and discovered who I really am.
I realized that I have a passion and gifting for drawing out other people's potential and helping them tap into their own sweet spots. In the same way, I thawed out of trauma and came alive through my business; I am so excited to help others do the same, whether it be through counseling, coaching, consulting, or collaborating.
What's your biggest accomplishment as a business owner?
Discovering, nurturing, and living out my core values.
What's one of the hardest things that comes with being a business owner?
Feeling like I'm so disconnected from my peers because I am often a trailblazer. Feeling like I'm often trekking ahead solo.
What are the top tips you'd give to anyone looking to start, run and grow a business today?
- Find a therapist where you can heal from your insecurities and traumas.
- Find a community of like-spirited people where you can each be yourselves.
- Implement the Profit First system for your revenue.
Where can people find you and your business?
If you like what you've read here and have your own story as a solo or small business entrepreneur that you'd like to share, then please answer these interview questions. We'd love to feature your journey on these pages.
Turn your craft into recurring revenue with Subkit. Start your subscription offering in minutes and supercharge it with growth levers. Get early access here.