Interested in starting your own entrepreneurial journey but unsure what to expect? Then read up on our interview with Howard Rosen, CEO of Nova Insights, located in Toronto, ON, Canada.
What's your business, and who are your customers?
I describe my mission as Humanizing Digital Transformation, where my main customers are in the healthcare industry, being providers and health systems looking to initiate or expand their digital health offerings. McKinsey has noted that only 4% - 11% of digital transformation is considered a "success" in healthcare. From my perspective is that a major reason is not taking into account the entire ecosystem and the customers both externally and internally. Even though clients profess they understand and take that into account, the results show otherwise.
Tell us about yourself
I have been a CxO with more than 30 years of experience as a founder of innovative healthcare and entertainment companies, most recently having created, organized, and directed the development of innovative businesses that produced technology and communications solutions for clients and partners that include Fortune 500 companies US public sector, military, and civilian. I have been described as a strategic, visionary leader with an eclectic professional history of developing and delivering high-value products and services that enhance customer experiences while producing business opportunities and revenue channels. Some professional achievements include:
• Founded LifeWIRE Corporation and invented the LifeWIRE platform technology that provided innovative communications automation solutions throughout the healthcare business in the United States.
• Led the innovation, design, and release of six patented LifeWIRE technology products, with two additional patents currently pending approval.
• Developed articles and delivered presentations as a leading expert as a Forbes Business Council member, communicating expertise in many areas of company leadership at the C-suite level
wrote articles covering executive leadership strategies, communications, and best practices.
• Invented the WhisperText communications technology product that enabled secure encrypted communication without the need for an application or software installation.
• Chosen to represent Canada by the Canadian Embassy (DC) and Philadelphia on multiple occasions to mentor other businesses in the development and delivery of innovative healthcare IT solutions.
• Delivered presentations before the United States Capitol Hill Steering Committee on Telehealth.
What's your biggest accomplishment as a business owner?
Taking something from nothing, that being a germ of an idea when I was producing film & television, and building it into a cloud bases engagement platform business in the healthcare industry (and awarded six patents to boot)
What's one of the hardest things that come with being a business owner?
Ultimately, it's all on you. You can be a solo entrepreneur or have a large company behind you, but when push comes to shove, it's you where all eyes rest.
What are the top tips you'd give to anyone looking to start, run and grow a business today?
- The more you hear nay-saying to an idea, the more likely it is a good idea.
- Don't settle for "what will do," if your gut tells you something/someone may not be appropriate, go with the gut.
- Apropos to 1) & 2) seek out GREAT and trusted advisors/mentors to help you through your journey.
Is there anything else you'd like to share?
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs, who comes short again and again because there is no effort without error and shortcoming, but who does actually strive to do the deeds who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions who spends himself in a worthy cause who at the best knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." – Theodore Roosevelt
Where can people find you and your business?
If you like what you've read here and have your own story as a solopreneur that you'd like to share, then email email@example.com; we'd love to feature your journey on these pages.
Feel inspired to start, run or grow your own subscription business? Check out subkit.com and learn how you can turn "one day" into day one.