Interested in starting your own entrepreneurial journey but unsure what to expect? Then read up on our interview with Nadine Stille, a Certified Mental Fitness Coach & ICF Accredited Coach, based in Vancouver, BC, Canada.
What's your business, and who are your customers?
I help moms create joy-filled lives alongside their thriving careers. My clients are mothers who are seeking more calm, well-being, and joy in their lives - for themselves and in their careers. I support mothers who've had enough and want more from their lives and careers. They may face some of these problems:
- Realize that they are taking care of everyone else 24/7 but not themselves.
- Question themselves, aren't confident in their abilities and are battling with Imposter Syndrome.
- Have constant negative emotions like stress, guilt, and frustration.
- Know their chosen career path isn't working for them, and they need clarity on what to do instead and next.
- Want that promotion or a new job, and need someone to make a plan with and walk all the way with them.
- They are feeling unfulfilled at work, and it's impacting them and their family.
I'd like to be part of their 'villages' to relieve burdens, create an action plan, and hold the vision for what they want and long for. I'll be there running alongside them as we work together towards more joy in their lives.
Tell us about yourself
What gets me up and going? The moms I work with are expected to do it all, know it all, be it all - from full-time dedicated mom to passionate career woman, to adoring partner, to you name it. And all that while earning less, having biases and the Motherhood penalty thrown at them, and not having adequate childcare or paid leave available. On top of that, the gender equality gap is further widening, and in some areas, women's rights get more restricted.
Yet, my clients are made to feel guilty for wanting some quality time or simply a break. They feel like 'it's just the way it is,' accepting that it being difficult is what it's all about. They might think they are failing their families and employers instead of their employers and societies failing them. Frankly, I've had enough of accepting the status quo and am dedicated to helping moms who want more for themselves, their families, and their careers.
What's your biggest accomplishment as a business owner?
I'm honestly counting my blessings each and every day that I get to do what I love. That, as simple as it may sound, is my greatest accomplishment.
What's one of the hardest things that come with being a business owner?
The learning curve is steep. In the beginning, especially, you may be the only one to do all the things - even if you don't like them or are good at them. Then it's down to evaluate: Do you upskill, outsource, how much effort do you put into this, or do you drop a particular activity altogether (for now). So you're constantly evaluating, trying, learning, tweaking... Sometimes that can be hard, and other days it's one of the reasons I love running my own business.
What are the top tips you'd give to anyone looking to start, run and grow a business today?
- Be intentional with where you invest your energy, and know why you're doing it. To complement that, ask yourself: What is my mind telling me to do? And what does my heart tell me? How does this align with my personal values?
- Have people around you who support you in different ways and areas. That can be a life partner, friends, or family, but also a mentor, sponsor, your accountant, other business owners, a coach... To complement that, ask yourself: Who do you need in your corner for your well-being? Who will be able to connect and train you? Who's skills do you need access to?
- Be kind to yourself. Running and growing a business can be hard. To complement that, ask yourself: What can you learn from the situation? What is a gift or an opportunity here? How will you nourish yourself today?
Is there anything else you'd like to share?
Starting, running, and growing a business is courageous. Make sure to give yourself credit and celebrate your wins - especially the small ones. Now, unleash your amazingness and have fun doing it.
Where can people find you and your business?
If you like what you've read here and have your own story as a solo or small business entrepreneur that you'd like to share, then please answer these interview questions. We'd love to feature your journey on these pages.
Turn your craft into recurring revenue with Subkit. Start your subscription offering in minutes and supercharge it with growth levers. Get early access here.