Interested in starting your own entrepreneurial journey in food and beverage but unsure what to expect? Then read up on our interview with Julie Hurd, CEO of Moo-Over, located in Columbia City, IN, USA.
What's your business, and who are your customers?
We are a plant-based ice creme shoppe, a dessert shoppe offering dairy/gluten/egg and peanut-free ice creme and desserts. We make everything from scratch. Our customers are ones who love ice creme, have dietary restrictions, or are vegan or vegetarian.
Tell us about yourself
I love ice cream, but ice cream does not love me. I wanted to provide a frozen dessert to those with allergies like myself. I get motivated every day when customers come in and tell me their stories. Many have allergies or have missed ice creme or gluten-free desserts.
What's your biggest accomplishment as a business owner?
- Established a made-from-scratch ice creme shoppe that is dairy-free and gluten-free in Indiana.
- Established our products in 5 different locations plus our retail shoppe.
- Local recognition from news and local papers.
- The shoppe made a profit the moment I opened.
- Only shoppe in Indiana that makes it all from scratch/ plant-based.
What's one of the hardest things that come with being a business owner?
Time Management, scheduling time for yourself, and finding good people who see your vision to work with/for you.
What are the top tips you'd give to anyone looking to start, run and grow a business today?
- Take time for yourself; schedule at least one day for yourself. Do nothing with work.
- Do your homework, and make sure you understand what your getting into.
- Secure good funding, do not use credit cards.
Is there anything else you'd like to share?
My 5-year plan is to franchise my business. Starting here with 2 locations in Indiana, then moving across the country.
Where can people find you and your business?
If you like what you've read here and have your own story as a solo or small business entrepreneur that you'd like to share, then please answer these interview questions. We'd love to feature your journey on these pages.
Turn your craft into recurring revenue with Subkit. Start your subscription offering in minutes and supercharge it with growth levers. Get early access here.