Interested in starting your own entrepreneurial journey in marketing services but unsure what to expect? Then read up on our interview with Sheryl Mercedes, CEO of Mercedes Design Studio, located in Niles, IL, USA.
What's your business, and who are your customers?
Mercedes Design Studio is your one-stop shop to get all your marketing needs done. Our products and services are geared toward start-ups and small businesses. We know what it's like to just get started, so we'd love to come along and help you on the journey as you grow. From Graphic Design, Custom Apparel, Digital Marketing, and Printed Goods - we work hard to amplify your marketing presence so you can focus on what you do best!
Tell us about yourself
Throughout my journey as a graphic designer, almost every company I've worked for was a family-owned and run business. As an employee, I was able to see a lot of what goes on behind the scenes to build a successful company. From designing layouts for a local publishing company to managing and prepping files for print shops and creating beautiful products and packaging for stylists to create their own kind of beauty in salons and schools, my love for providing a variety of creative solutions became my mission.
There are 3 things that feed my drive:
- Knowing that my clients are going to walk away with a quality product or service.
- My growing family depends on me to continue to provide for us.
- Being able to show my son that you can love what you do every and also be successful.
What's your biggest accomplishment as a business owner?
My biggest accomplishment as a business owner was taking on another creative to be on my team. I'm not only able to provide more value to the clients we serve but also give someone the opportunity to grow in their field as well.
What's one of the hardest things that comes with being a business owner?
The biggest challenge I face as a business owner is running the business itself. You have to be open to learning every single day. Being a business owner is a whole other animal. You have to always be ready to get your hands dirty, grind day in and day out, and remind yourself that this is all part of the dream, and it is SOOOO worth it!
What are the top tips you'd give to anyone looking to start, run and grow a business today?
My advice is to RUN! Just kidding! I would say the best tips I can give you are:
- What is your WHY? Have a plan and write it down -- This is a huge part of my process every day. Remember the reason I started this journey. Create deadlines for everything. Be realistic. Now crush those goals!
- Build your environment -- It's so important to put yourself in the right environment to be successful. Edit out the distractions and the noise that will pull your business and focus away from your dream. Don't be afraid to not be the smartest person in the room. Have an accountability team or buddy.
- Stop and smell the roses -- Through the hustle and bustle of the everyday grind, plug in some time to reflect and appreciate the journey you've taken. Be proud of what you have built and even when things don't go as planned, be sure to give yourself some grace.
Where can people find you and your business?
If you like what you've read here and have your own story as a solo or small business entrepreneur that you'd like to share, then please answer these interview questions. We'd love to feature your journey on these pages.
Turn your craft into recurring revenue with Subkit. Start your subscription offering in minutes and supercharge it with growth levers. Get early access here.