Interested in starting your own entrepreneurial journey but unsure what to expect? Then read up on our interview with Kelly Ann Gorman, Founder of Kelly Ann Cares, located in San Diego, CA, USA.
What's your business, and who are your customers?
Kelly Ann Cares is a one-stop shop for podcasting, personal growth, productivity, and more. I'm a Podcaster (Kelly Ann Cares Podcast), Author (Everything is Messy), Patient Advocate, Content Creator, and Entrepreneur. Helping business owners and podcasters get organized, scheduled, and become more productive while saving time, money, and energy is what I am most passionate about. I create programs, products, and services that help elevate your mind, upgrade your business, enhance your life, and welcome you into a positive and uplifting community.
Tell us about yourself
I launched my podcast back in 2017 for three reasons:
- I was diagnosed with a disease and wanted to help other patients advocate for themselves. I wanted to interview medical professionals to help find us real answers to the questions we all had.
- If I were to become blind and paralyzed by the disease (which I was actually misdiagnosed with), my voice was what I could use to make money and survive. I knew I could eventually monetize my show, so I just started without knowing anything about writing, recording, production, or syndication.
- I wanted to share all of my business and LinkedIn knowledge to help other professionals become more productive and educated to grow their brands.
Starting something when I had absolutely no idea what I was doing was the best decision I could ever make! After launching my own show, I was asked how I did it. So, I did what I knew best—created something that needed to exist. I launched a full-service podcast development company.
Six years later, I have now developed more than twenty podcasts for my clients, produced thousands of episodes and music tracks, written hundreds of scripts, and recorded almost 400 shows of my own. It is so crazy to look back and reflect on this unplanned podcasting journey which has become my most rewarding career. What motivates me is the fact that I am healthy, no longer sick, and have been given a second chance at life. If I am able to wake up each morning, I feel as though I can do anything.
What's your biggest accomplishment as a business owner?
Having a globally syndicated podcast heard in almost 100 countries and self-publishing a book in the middle of the pandemic. My purpose in life has always been to help others, and the fact that I am able to do this through multiple mediums is the most incredible feeling. I created something amazing from absolutely nothing, and it worked, and I want other business owners and entrepreneurs to know that anything is possible if you just put in the work. If I am able to help just one person a day with my content, I know I am doing something right.
What's one of the hardest things that comes with being a business owner?
- Inconsistent algorithms when creating content for social media channels.
- Uncertainty. After the pandemic, it seems as though it's 50/50! People are either all in or afraid to invest in themselves.
- Starting over. Learning to pivot your brand when certain projects don't pan out.
What are the top tips you'd give to anyone looking to start, run and grow a business today?
Do your research. Just start. Don't wait until you are 100% ready. You will always get curveballs thrown your way. Entrepreneurship is quite a roller coaster ride but worth every minute of it! Create a community and engage. Whatever you are launching should be solving a problem for someone else. Be as creative as possible, go with your gut, and never ever give up!
Where can people find you and your business?
If you like what you've read here and have your own story as a solo or small business entrepreneur that you'd like to share, then please answer these interview questions. We'd love to feature your journey on these pages.
Turn your craft into recurring revenue with Subkit. Start your subscription offering in minutes and supercharge it with growth levers. Get early access here.