Interested in starting your own entrepreneurial journey in health and wellness but unsure what to expect? Then read up on our interview with Kaylee Koslowske, Founder of Kaylee's UNITY, located in Grand Rapids, MI, USA.
What's your business, and who are your customers?
I am a Thai Yoga practitioner and teacher. I use bodywork as hands-on healing and teach people how to use traditional techniques through courses and workshops. I use my body in yoga postures to move the client’s relaxed body into different postures. In Thai Yoga, someone does the yoga for you, so you as the client get the benefits of yoga with proper alignment, no straining, and the added benefit of interpersonal connection (healing touch). Thai Yoga addresses the whole body without limiting the focus to the perceived problem area.
My customers are anybody who has pain or limitations that cause stress and distract from living a predominantly peaceful and joyful life. My customers are people learning to relax and trust themselves and others. My customers want to strengthen awareness of their body to change their state of being and eliminate anxiety, depression, pain, soreness, limited mobility, nervous/immune disorders, etc.
Tell us about yourself
I believe strong communities lead to better living for all, and strong communities are made of confident individuals. I enjoy guiding people into their confidence and giving people a safe place to bring awareness to themselves, their uniqueness, their body, and the power they have to change anything. I enjoy helping ease pain since I had a great life of little discomfort. I enjoy showing people what is possible, that there are different ways to heal themselves, to help validate people as a whole person and give them time to experience joy and peace. I like the idea of forgiveness, the ability to make new from old and start fresh. Nature forgives forever. There is always a chance for us to change at any moment. Life is a choice, and I like to help people have an opportunity to reset their bodies and mind. I like being alive to change what I want about myself. I accept I cannot force change, but I like to be available for those who are ready to. I don’t like pretending I know everything or want to know everything. I like nature to take control, and I like being copasetic with nature. I like awareness of my surroundings and having wellness a priority. I like feeling when my body needs to recover and the simplicity of the recovery in relaxation. The simplest solution is the best. I like organic happenings, spur-of-the-moment, non-repeatable, and uniqueness. I like applying the same techniques to different people, and their bodies react differently based on their needs. I cannot know everything about someone, nor is it my job. I am a catalyst, a helper.
What's your biggest accomplishment as a business owner?
Having clients who are strangers in different cities around the USA and world to discover me, trust me and be a part of their healing journey. Also, I am proud to have created my own website.
What's one of the hardest things that come with being a business owner?
All responsibility is on you, there is nothing and no one to blame for anything, and you cannot force people to share your passion or see your business the way you do. A close second challenge for me is to be seen and exposed for what I am selling and find people who understand the value of what I do and want to pay for it full price. And, of course, the challenge of time management, not allowing your time to slip into only things that you are comfortable with or uncomfortable with, and maintaining a balanced life.
What are the top tips you'd give to anyone looking to start, run and grow a business today?
- Confidence in yourself to continue your mission when faced with adversity and willingness to adapt your business as necessary. Have a goal/plan/reason for doing what you do, make it a mantra, and remind yourself of that reason every day. If you don’t care, no one else will.
- Go with your natural strengths, what you already know and like. Being a business creator is already challenging. Do not add more challenge by choosing a business you know little about or are miserable doing because that is where your time, energy, and life will go.
- Have a budget for money and time, list what is important in your life and what your ideal life will be, and arrange your days and finances accordingly to fulfill that list.
- Experiment with different ideas and methods. A business is never stagnant or stuck; it is always evolving because the customers and environment are always changing. Do not get stuck or attached to a single idea or way of doing business. Learn different business models from different industries and use your unique perspective.
- Have your own money or a reliable source of money to use and build from. It’s not necessary, but it makes starting a business a lot easier.
- You are not owed by customers or success. Just because you think you have a good idea and great marketability does not mean you are guaranteed that people to support you financially. Why should people choose to give their money to you?
- Give yourself props for everything you do well, no matter how small, easy or “automatic” they feel. If you do not celebrate yourself, you are not guaranteed anyone else to celebrate you. Don’t wait for an interview for the chance to talk about yourself and your business. People like person-ness; they like relating to you and feeling important.
- You do not need everyone in the world to like you or get what you are selling. You need a strong supportive customer base, enough to pay for what you want for your goals. You can expand as needed but start with a specific crowd, purpose, and marketing type.
Is there anything else you'd like to share?
Success is whatever you want it to be. It is not limited to fame or wealth. Remember, there are only a few things we need to do to stay alive. Every moment you are alive is already a success; anything else you do with your time is extra, and it is your choice to perceive life beyond survival. You cannot control people. You can hire the most talented PR or marketing team or have the best quality product, but people have to believe in the value and necessity of what you sell, just as you have to believe in the value and necessity of what you do with your time.
Where can people find you and your business?
If you like what you've read here and have your own story as a solo or small business entrepreneur that you'd like to share, then please answer these interview questions. We'd love to feature your journey on these pages.
Turn your craft into recurring revenue with Subkit. Start your subscription offering in minutes and supercharge it with growth levers. Get early access here.