Interested in starting your own entrepreneurial journey but unsure what to expect? Then read up on our interview with Jason Roberts, founder of Anika Green Energy (AGE), located in Las Vegas, NV, USA.
What's your business, and who are your customers?
Anika Green Energy (AGE) creates stable, green renewable energy that powers portable data centers (PDC). AGE restores stranded energy assets while contributing a portion of its earnings to the growth of rural communities. Our vertically integrated technology enables AGE to control the generation of electricity, relieving us of uncontrollable downtime. This integration makes it possible to operate independently of governmental restrictions and anticipate the cost of future energy generation.
Tell us about yourself
My journey to this point has been long and filled with a myriad of challenges. My Faith has been an integral part of my journey in life, and as a business owner, Faith has played a significant role in shaping the values and principles that I bring to my leadership role at AGE. Through acknowledging and accepting failure as a lesson, coupled with exposure to uncomfortable situations, I have learned the importance of integrity, honesty, and compassion. These are and will continue to be the cornerstone of our company's culture.
What's your biggest accomplishment as a business owner?
I am proud to say that my biggest accomplishment has been the building of a team that is also my family. We share values and the vision for the company.
In building my team, I made it a priority to find individuals who share this same passion for sustainability and innovation. I also made sure to foster a culture of mutual respect, trust, and collaboration, where every team member feels valued and supported.
I believe that we have created a strong foundation for success. Together, we have been able to achieve great things. I am excited to see what we will accomplish in the future as we continue to work towards our vision of a cleaner, more sustainable world.
What's one of the hardest things that comes with being a business owner?
As a business owner, the responsibility to your family and team is paramount. It is crucial to ensure that everyone involved in your business has what they need to succeed. However, managing the flow of life, balancing personal and professional commitments, and staying focused on your goals can be incredibly challenging.
Here are a few examples of challenges I have faced:
- Responsibility to your family and team - As a business owner, you have a responsibility not only to your family but also to your team. You must ensure that everyone is taken care of and has what they need to thrive, including support, resources, and opportunities. This can be challenging, especially when balancing the demands of running a business with the needs of your family and team.
- Managing the flow of life - Running a business normally requires long hours and a lot of hard work. It can be difficult to manage your personal and professional life, especially if you have family and community commitments that require your attention. Balancing your time can be challenging, and it requires discipline and effective time management skills.
- Staying in the moment - Running a business can be all-consuming, and it's easy to get caught up in the day-to-day operations and lose sight of the bigger picture. It's important to stay focused on your goals and remain present at the moment. This requires discipline, mindfulness, and the ability to stay positive, even when facing challenges.
Remember to lean on your Faith and seek support from your family and community when needed. By staying true to your values and maintaining a positive outlook, you can overcome any challenges and achieve success in both your personal and professional life.
What are the top tips you'd give to anyone looking to start, run and grow a business today?
- Discover your passion. When starting a business, it's important to choose a field that you are passionate about. This will keep you motivated and focused, especially during the challenging times that are sure to come. For AGE, the passion for sustainability and clean energy solutions, as well as philanthropy, has been a driving force in the company's success.
- Work with like-minded people. Surround yourself with people who share your vision and values. This will not only make your work more enjoyable, but it will also help you build a team that is invested in the success of the company. At AGE, working with like-minded people has been essential in creating a supportive and collaborative team culture.
- Enjoy the process. Building a business is a journey, and it's important to enjoy the process and appreciate the small victories along the way. Take time to celebrate milestones and learn from setbacks. At AGE, we've found that staying positive and embracing the journey has helped us stay focused on our goals and maintain our passion for the work we do.
Starting a business can be a daunting and challenging task, but with the right mindset and support, it can be a fulfilling and rewarding journey. By discovering your passion, working with like-minded people, enjoying the process, and having Faith, you can increase your chances of building a successful business that not only benefits you but also makes a positive impact on your community and the world.
Where can people find you and your business?
If you like what you've read here and have your own story as a solo or small business entrepreneur that you'd like to share, then please answer these interview questions. We'd love to feature your journey on these pages.
Turn your craft into recurring revenue with Subkit. Start your subscription offering in minutes and supercharge it with growth levers. Get early access here.