Interested in starting your own entrepreneurial journey in business solutions but unsure what to expect? Then read up on our interview with Dr. Francis Granito, Chief Scientist & Lead Fellow of Institute for Digital Transformation, located in Selbyville, DE, USA.
What's your business, and who are your customers?
The Institute for Digital Transformation ("The Institute") exists at the intersection of a think tank, an analyst/research firm, trusted advisors, and system developers. Through our network of Institute Fellows, we explore the impacts on companies and their leaders as we transition from the Industrial to the Digital Era. Based on actual experiences and industry research, we produce a wide range of insightful and thought-provoking tools and content, including automated/analytical assessments, white papers / eBooks, interactive development programs, and live events. All of this is intended to prepare leaders for the Digital Era and guide them in transforming their organizations into Digital Enterprises.
Our mission is to help develop organizations and leaders who are comfortable operating with uncertainty and who can rapidly evolve their operating models to adapt to changing markets and directions. That is a transformational culture. That is transformational leadership.
We have three distinct customers:
- Individual Digital Leaders – Executives, non-executives, business managers, aspiring managers, and self-identifying "leaders" who want to play a role in shaping the future of business and IT organizations as they become "Digital Enterprises." We provide them with information in the form of blog posts, articles, eBooks, White Papers, and videos from Industry Experts who have led transformation efforts.
- Enterprise Digital Leadership – Organizations that are planning to, or in the process of, transforming their organization. We provide Institute Membership, Expert Viewpoint (i.e., blogs, articles, webinars, etc.), advisory services, research, and a "readiness to Transform" assessment.
- B2B Service Providers – We partner with service providers to allow them to incorporate our services (like the Readiness Assessment) into their existing portfolio of services.
Tell us about yourself
Throughout my Government career, I built a network of peers and colleagues. From those contacts came offers to do consultant and training work. But one offer - to build an organization dedicated to the advancement of helping others doing business and digital transformation was the most intriguing. Given that I am a "student" and researcher at heart, the ability to apply that calling to develop content and intellectual property to help others really spoke to me. My motivation then is to get a high-level problem or issue and scientifically research it. The fascinating part is that research can lead to many different reasonable conclusions and ultimately no ONE answer but a host of viable alternatives. Which ironically leads to more research and problem-solving.
What's your biggest accomplishment as a business owner?
Getting repeat business and referrals from customers shows you did a good job and provided value.
What's one of the hardest things that comes with being a business owner?
What are the top tips you'd give to anyone looking to start, run and grow a business today?
- Being active on social media.
- Have a product that people want and are willing to pay for.
- Always listen to your customers.
Where can people find you and your business?
If you like what you've read here and have your own story as a solo or small business entrepreneur that you'd like to share, then please answer these interview questions. We'd love to feature your journey on these pages.
Turn your craft into recurring revenue with Subkit. Start your subscription offering in minutes and supercharge it with growth levers. Get early access here.