Interested in starting your own entrepreneurial journey in business services but unsure what to expect? Then read up on our interview with Bruce Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz Strategic Staffing, Ltd., located in Hackensack, NJ, USA.
What's your business, and who are your customers?
Hurwitz Strategic Staffing provides recruiting, career counseling, and professional writing services. While our mission is to promote the hiring of veterans (now expanded to include all national heroes), we work with everyone. Our customers/clients are employers looking to hire and employees looking to be hired. Additionally, we provide services to business leaders in need of writing services, especially speeches, articles, and books.
Tell us about yourself
Coming from a non-profit background, when I started my company, I wanted it to have a mission, namely, the promotion of the hiring of veterans. Due to demand, services expanded to include career counseling and, because of the response to my articles and books, professional writing services. What motivates me is being able to offer timely, cost-effective solutions to my clients' problems.
What's your biggest accomplishment as a business owner?
In addition to helping scores of veterans, and others, to find meaningful employment, I am most proud of having written two Amazon Number One bestsellers, one Number Four bestseller, and one which was also a Number One international bestseller.
Some of my other biggest accomplishments are:
- Having been named a top 20 career counselor for 2022
- The fact that my LinkedIn articles have been read over 450,000
- Having been cited in over 700 articles, appearing in more than 500 publications across the United States and at least 30 different countries
- One of my LinkedIn articles went viral, being read over 100,000 times, resulting in my appearing on Fox Business Channel.
- I was a five-star writer on Fiverr, and I successfully built a social media network on numerous sites, amounting to over 55,000 accounts.
What's one of the hardest things that come with being a business owner?
Client acquisition and the distraction of junk email and inappropriate social media messages.
What are the top tips you'd give to anyone looking to start, run and grow a business today?
- Secure a minimum of 3 clients before launching your business in earnest.
- Get a good accountant.
- Write a business plan. It is the best tool for organizing your thoughts.
Where can people find you and your business?
If you like what you've read here and have your own story as a solo or small business entrepreneur that you'd like to share, then please answer these interview questions. We'd love to feature your journey on these pages.
Turn your craft into recurring revenue with Subkit. Start your subscription offering in minutes and supercharge it with growth levers. Get early access here.