It may seem obvious, but choosing the right profile picture is one of the most important aspects of setting up your business. After all, first impressions count, and a good profile photo may make the difference in converting window shoppers to loyal customers.
Of course, it’s important that your photo reflects yourself and your brand, but there are still many best practices you can follow to make sure you get the blend of professionalism and personality just right.
Our 6 Best Practices For Having A Perfect Professional Profile Photo
- Don’t settle for average. If you’re not too hot at photography, maybe see if a friend can take your picture so as you get the absolute best possible result. An hour or two out of your day to get the perfect photo will be more than worth it in the long run.
- Your face is important, so make sure you show it! Be natural, smile, and act like you’re meeting your customers in person. Your smile doesn't have to be cheesy, but you're aiming for a welcoming, trustworthy grin.
- Get your frame right. No-one wants to see your face right up to the lens and on the flip side make sure you’re not too far away from the camera. Think head and shoulders and plenty of room around you to fit your profile.
- Think about what you’re wearing and where you’re having your photo taken. If you’re a surf instructor then likely you’ll want your picture to reflect this. If you’re running a professional service business then smart clothing is the order of the day.
- It may make sense if you’re at the beach to be wearing sunglasses and a hat, but unobstructed eyes are best if you’re wanting to develop trust with your customers. Leave the accessories at home so as you're not looking like an undercover agent on a day out!
- Think contrasting colors in your clothing and background. Want to stand out? Then make sure you have a mix of colors in your profile that brings your photo to life.
Our Academy Checklist For The Perfect Profile Photo
- Do I look like someone that I would buy a product or service from?
- Do I look natural and reflect my brand and what I sell?
- Am I happy with the results of this photo? If not, how can I use the above tips to perfect my profile till it’s just right.
Like most things in life, you'll want to keep working on your profile photo till you're happy with the results. It could be that you update your photo every few months, or you stick with the current shot for the rest of your days.
Whatever you do choose to do, make sure you carry on reflecting the person on your photo. This isn't like a passport where a lot can happen in 10 years!
Feel inspired to start, run or grow your own business? Check out subkit.com and learn how you can turn "one day" into day one.