Interested in starting your own entrepreneurial journey in skincare but unsure what to expect? Then read up on our interview with Mel K. Wilkinson, CS, Founder of Greenmade Goods, located in Nashville, TN, USA.
What's your business, and who are your customers?
Greenmade Goods creates all-natural skincare solutions for the health-conscious individual who wants to know exactly what's in their products.
Tell us about yourself
A few years ago, we started to eat clean, which led to reading the back labels of everything- including our beauty products. It was shocking to see what was in them... and experienced what you would call an "aha! moment". I soon left my career in the wine industry with a new purpose in life: to make the BEST pure, natural, bath and body products and to have them accessible to everyone.
What's your biggest accomplishment as a business owner?
Seeing my small start-up grow! A couple of brags:
- The Lavender Botanical Nail Pen took 1st Place in the 2022 Clean Beauty Awards (Nail Care Category).
- The Jasmine Hair + Body Oil finished Top 10 (Hair Care) and,
- The Nashville Scene featured us in their Local Gift Guide as "one of the best new start-ups to watch."
What's one of the hardest things that comes with being a business owner?
I say this a bit "tongue in cheek", but one of the hardest things for me to do as a business owner is spending money on things like printer ink and boxes which are boring yet necessary. I'd rather be in the lab experimenting with new formulas and ingredients!
What are the top tips you'd give to anyone looking to start, run and grow a business today?
- Be aggressive and competitive with your pricing to grow your audience and following.
- As your business grows, buy in bulk to increase your profit per item.
- Find your niche, what makes you stand out from others, and capitalize on it!
Where can people find you and your business?
If you like what you've read here and have your own story as a solo or small business entrepreneur that you'd like to share, then please answer these interview questions. We'd love to feature your journey on these pages.
Turn your craft into recurring revenue with Subkit. Start your subscription offering in minutes and supercharge it with growth levers. Get early access here.