Interested in starting your own entrepreneurial journey but unsure what to expect? Then read up on our interview with Pamela J. Goodwin, CEO of Goodwin Commercial, located in Plano, TX, USA.
What's your business, and who are your customers?
A boutique commercial real estate brokerage, consulting, and development company based in Plano, Texas, since 2006. We work with celebrities and business owners looking to buy or lease commercial property.
Tell us about yourself
My interest in entrepreneurship started when I was four years old. My first venture was a lemonade stand, and then I worked in the family's poultry business, from tenant coordination/project management with several large shopping center owners to developing more than 50 pad sites with Brinker Int. (Chili's and On the Border). Being an entrepreneur, I decided to start my own company in 2006. What distinguishes me from others in this field of expertise is that I have a long record of successfully guiding local and national clients (Walgreens, McDonald's, Chase Bank, to name a few) with their commercial real estate acquisitions, lease obligations, and consulting services.
I am the founder and CEO of Goodwin Commercial, based in Dallas, TX, an award-winning boutique commercial real estate and consulting firm specializing in single-tenant net leased properties. With more than three decades of experience in development, buyer/tenant representation, project management, leasing, property development, 1031 exchanges, due diligence, and entitlements. Prior to starting my own firm, I worked for several large shopping center developers, including, The Hahn Co., Macerich, General Growth Properties, and on the tenant side with Brinker International. Working on both the landlord and tenant side of commercial real estate has provided me with a crucial understanding of landlord and tenant requirements, which helps guide clients to successful results. I have been featured in Bisnow, Texas Real Estate Business, Shopping Center Business, and the Dallas Business Journal. I am a member and past Dallas Chair Program Committee for the International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC), a member of the North Texas Commercial Association of Realtors and Real Estate Professionals (NTCAR), Deals in Heels member, and a licensed Texas real estate broker. I have been selected for numerous awards, including Southwest Woman of Influence by the editors of Real Estate Forum and D CEO – Power Broker for several years.
I take pride in giving back to the community by serving as Vice Chairman for the city's Zoning Board of Adjustments. I am a member and contributor to Forbes Real Estate Council, an invitation-only organization for executives in the real estate industry. I am the Advisory Board Member of Women's Leadership Live. I am an approved Texas Real Estate Commission instructor. Selected to be part of the coaching staff to teach commercial real estate courses with Think Realty.
I graduated from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (yes, big Cornhusker football fan). I am a published author of two books, One Cent Lemonade to Million Dollar Deals-25 Jobs & 25 Lessons I Wish I Learned Sooner! and an Amazon Best Seller for "Winning Ways in Commercial Real Estate." I created a four-part audio series, "How to Win in Commercial Real Estate – Zero to $1,000,000 with One Deal."
In my spare time, I enjoy traveling, visiting my family in Croatia, working out, and spending time with my husband and two sons in college.
Here are some of my awards:
- 2021 Women of Influence, Globe St. Real Estate Forum
- 2021 Power Brokers – Land Sales – D Magazine
- 2020 Influencer of Retail, GlobeSt. Real Estate Forum
- 2020 Women of Influence, GlobeSt. Real Estate Forum
- 2020 Power Brokers – Investment Sales - D Magazine
- 2019 Power Brokers – Investment Sales - D Magazine
- 2019 Women of Influence – Broker of the Year – Investment Sales – Real Estate Forum Globe St.
- 2019 Best of Plano Awards – Commercial Real Estate Agency – City of Plano Business Recognition
- 2019 Real Estate and Property Awards – Best Boutique Commercial Real Estate Consultancy and Texas Distinction Award for Retail Property Consulting 2019 (BUILD magazine)
- 2019 Bisnow Dallas Power Women
- 2019 Denton County Commercial Real Estate Finalist (top 3)
Boards and Memberships:
- Advisory Panel for Customer Service Experience Program – the University of Houston, C.T. Bauer College of Business – January 2021- Present
- Zoning Board of Adjustments – City of Lewisville, TX June 2019 – Present
- Women's Leadership Live – May 2016 – Present
- Operation Blue Shield – October 2016 – January 2020
- Forbes Real Estate Council – May 2017 – Present
- International Council of Shopping Centers – February 2006 – Present
- North Texas Commercial Association of Realtors and Real Estate – February 2006 - Present
What's your biggest accomplishment as a business owner?
My biggest accomplishment as a business owner is being able to survive the economic ups and downs of the commercial real estate market for more than three decades.
What's one of the hardest things that comes with being a business owner?
Trying to do it all yourself and letting go of delegating. Always working on the business, even on vacation.
What are the top tips you'd give to anyone looking to start, run and grow a business today?
- Find a mentor or business owner who is doing what you want to do and your passion.
- Collaborate with someone you trust to scale faster in business.
- The Best way to grow your business is to have systems and processes in place from day one.
Where can people find you and your business?
If you like what you've read here and have your own story as a solo or small business entrepreneur that you'd like to share, then please answer these interview questions. We'd love to feature your journey on these pages.
Turn your craft into recurring revenue with Subkit. Start your subscription offering in minutes and supercharge it with growth levers. Get early access here.