Interested in starting your own entrepreneurial journey in health and fitness but unsure what to expect? Then read up on our interview with Jack Sullivan, Owner of Fit Plus, located in Erie, PA, USA.
What's your business, and who are your customers?
Fit Plus is a boutique fitness studio located in Erie, PA. Fit Plus features three programs:
• Move Fit is the perfect workout combining cardio, functional, and focused strength training in a high-energy, fun, and focused trainer-led workout.
• Train Fit is our one-on-one personal training studio. Featuring the best equipment and trainers in the area, Train Fit is the area's leading PT Program.
• Live Fit is our nutrition and lifestyle training program. With the motto "Eat right & not less," we teach our members to eat healthy for their physique goals and lifestyle.
Fit Plus... everything you love about fitness, PLUS!
Tell us about yourself
I began working out at the age of 13. I began competing in bodybuilding shows at the age of 17. I opened my first gym at the age of 29. That was an old-school bodybuilding gym. After running the area's top gym for almost ten years, I saw the industry changing and was ready for a new challenge. Fit Plus was something that I have been working on for over four years. Fit Plus officially opened two years ago, in January of 2021. Helping people be their best and reach their goals motivates me every day to work the fitness business grind each day!
What's your biggest accomplishment as a business owner?
Winning Erie's "Best Fitness Center" award in our first year. Which was a testament to all of our hard work, the amazing programs we have, and the results our members worked hard for.
What's one of the hardest things that comes with being a business owner?
Being a small business owner is very challenging. It is not for the faint of heart. Different challenges arise daily, and being able to remain centered and always remember your mission is critical to success. In today's current market, the economy is a serious challenge for high-end studios like us.
What are the top tips you'd give to anyone looking to start, run and grow a business today?
- Business is a battle.
- Know and be okay with the fact that there is no balance if you want to win.
- Despite there being no balance, find a way to maintain your health. You need stamina and energy to win.
- Improve your skill sets every day. Read, learn, and develop. Never stop improving.
Where can people find you and your business?
If you like what you've read here and have your own story as a solo or small business entrepreneur that you'd like to share, then please answer these interview questions. We'd love to feature your journey on these pages.
Turn your craft into recurring revenue with Subkit. Start your subscription offering in minutes and supercharge it with growth levers. Get early access here.