Interested in starting your own entrepreneurial journey but unsure what to expect? Then read up on our interview with Randall Thompson, Founder of Dugout Mugs, located in Winter Haven, FL, USA.

What's your business, and who are your customers?

We create the world's most unique baseball gifts. We dissect a baseball bat and turn it into a functional drinking mug, shot glass, tumbler, or bottle opener. Our customers are individuals that have a baseball-loving husband, wife, dad, friend, boss, etc., in their life and want to get them something that is really quality made, yet unique and never before seen. We also sell to sell major retailers - and boutique gift shops.

Tell us about yourself

I love baseball and grew up playing. I went from t-ball to playing professionally for the Toronto Blue Jays. I also love being creative, so in 2014 - when I was done with my playing days, and I was coaching -- I saw a bat barrel sitting in the dugout & thought to myself -- "hmm, that could make a pretty cool drinking mug." We are almost at 10 years since having that thought - and Dugout Mugs has sold over 1 million units over the past 6 years. I am no longer a person guided by motivation -- I have created a standard and habits around that standard. Waking up and working hard on my business is like someone waking up and brushing their teeth -- I don't think about it -- it's just a habit that I have developed over the years.

What's your biggest accomplishment as a business owner?

Being able to sell ~$50mm of products that I have created and doing it all in flip flops.

What's one of the hardest things that comes with being a business owner?

Shedding layers of untrue 'life rules' that shape the reality of my life. What I mean by that -- there's a 1% class -- then there's the other 99% -- and the majority (the 99%) live in a different reality than the 1%. A person can't have a 1% life with a 99% belief system. It takes a lot of work to peel those layers and create a new belief system that ultimately creates an entirely different reality.

What are the top tips you'd give to anyone looking to start, run and grow a business today?

  1. Stop looking for tips.
  2. Turn your thought process from: "I don't know" to "I gotta know."
  3. Just go get dirty and build what you want to build; it's really simple but not easy.

Where can people find you and your business?


If you like what you've read here and have your own story as a solo or small business entrepreneur that you'd like to share, then please answer these interview questions. We'd love to feature your journey on these pages.

Turn your craft into recurring revenue with Subkit. Start your subscription offering in minutes and supercharge it with growth levers. Get early access here.