Interested in starting your own entrepreneurial journey in marketing but unsure what to expect? Then read up on our interview with Cinthia Almeida, Founder of Cinthia Almeida Personal Marketing Consultancy, located in Midland, MI, USA.
What's your business, and who are your customers?
My business is a Personal Marketing Consultancy. Since 2018 I have helped more than 100 executives (from intern to C-Level) and entrepreneurs to highlight their strengths to be recognized for what they want to and achieve their career and personal goals.
My 2022 portfolio consists of 4 types of services:
• Coffee chat on Personal Marketing: a fast online mentorship to solve a specific problem that could be related to how to improve and/or raise Personal Brand and Personal Marketing for career or entrepreneurship.
• Digital Presence X-Ray: a consultancy developed for everyone who wants to have a digital presence with clarity, consistency, and constancy. We focus on choosing the appropriate social media strategy.
• Personal Marketing Journey: this is the most complete work of the consultancy. It is developed to manage personal brand and make personal marketing, which will go through the Identity, Image, Positioning, and Communication Strategy and Follow up phases, providing a deep strategic analysis of my clients' personal brands.
• Workshops and lecturers: tailor-made sessions for groups of professionals from the same company. These sessions usually focus on Female Leadership, Networking, Communication, Storytelling, Digital Positioning, and other Personal Marketing interests.
Tell us about yourself
I am a Brazilian woman who has been living in Midland, Michigan, since 2017. We moved from Brazil because of my husband’s job. He received a proposal to work as an expat here for some years. At that moment, I was on maternity leave after having our first child. I used to work as a LATAM Marketing Executive, traveled to many countries, and had a hectic schedule. So, when we decided to come to the US, I decided to interrupt my career as an Executive to become a full-time mom. But, almost one year later, living in Midland, I realized I was starting to miss my career identity. On the other hand, I couldn’t see myself back in the corporate life I had before.
To find my new identity and figure out what my next steps could be, I worked with a Career Coach who helped me understand what I really wanted for my future. We went through an eye-opening process of self-awareness, understanding my skills, wishes, and aspirations. At that time, I had many discoveries, including a new and non-negotiable value to me: flexibility!
The following months were dedicated to studying and creating my business plan. And also, I got a new baby during all this process. Interestingly enough, that pregnancy taught me a lot. Nowadays, I find myself more patient and focused than before. After my daughter was born, my newly developed skills enabled me to open my business more smoothly, with less pressure, following my business plan.
I have more than 20 years of working with Marketing, Branding, and People, working for more than 15 years in Global companies, advertising agencies, and consultancy companies. Leading diverse teams in many different companies has expanded my leadership, networking, and personal and team growth. My degree is in Advertising with an MBA in Marketing, and I had specialization courses in Personal Branding and Leadership. Studying in renowned institutions and traveling the world for business enabled me to experience many cultures and increase my understanding of people and their behaviors.
In my own business – a Personal Marketing Consultancy, I could combine all my passions: People, Marketing, Branding, and Strategy. I started my business with some beta clients! I invited a few friends (and they agreed!) that could benefit from some help. I applied exclusive methodologies, and after the process was completed, I gathered their feedback, which was essential to start building my portfolio and enhancing the deliverables for my clients.
After four years of lots of dedication, improving my network ability, and learning about many different segments, I can say that I really found not only my identity but also my mission in the world: to help people identify their strengths, tell their stories, and leverage their essence and authenticity to highlight into the target market.
What's your biggest accomplishment as a business owner?
This is a good question. I couldn't say only one, but I can share some of them:
- Help people to find their personal and career goals showing their strengths and potential.
- Have the flexibility to follow my children's growth and be so participative in their lives.
- Make fast movements in my business as I am the owner and decision maker.
What's one of the hardest things that come with being a business owner?
For me, it's being responsible for everything in my business. As a small business owner, I don’t have employees to help and share my work. Sometimes I feel a little alone as the only person to plan and execute everything in the company. I have some partners that help me in some specific jobs, but most of the things are done only by me. But, nowadays, I have to say that these hardest things help me to become more multipotential.
What are the top tips you'd give to anyone looking to start, run and grow a business today?
- Take time to plan your business: this is an essential activity to start something and also to review, at least annually. It helps not only to be more prepared for the future but also to avoid some possible headaches.
- Manage your own Personal Brand: your reputation is the most important thing you have in your life. Take care of this, together with your business. People like to connect with other people.
- Take care of your networking: be in touch with people that can support you and vice-versa. Be genuine in your relationships and help them before asking for help.
Is there anything else you'd like to share?
I would like to talk about some personal branding and personal marketing trends. These are still relatively new concepts for the majority of people. We traditionally talk about Branding and Marketing for companies, but now many of us realize that we are our own personal brand and that people recognize us by what we allow others to see from us.
In the following years, our businesses tend to be more and more globalized, thanks to the digitalized world. We are now going through this cultural transition; from then on, there is no way back! Thus, start exploring more channels to be seen by your audience. Think about what personal brand you want to show and how to be recognized by them. Let’s all take ownership of our future and be very strategic about it. That’s what I am here for!
Where can people find you and your business?
If you like what you've read here and have your own story as a solo or small business entrepreneur that you'd like to share, then please answer these interview questions. We'd love to feature your journey on these pages.
Turn your craft into recurring revenue with Subkit. Start your subscription offering in minutes and supercharge it with growth levers. Get early access here.