Interested in starting your own entrepreneurial journey in mental wellness but unsure what to expect? Then read up on our interview with Halie Auerbach, Chief Administrative Officer of CFND Behavioral Health, located in Los Angeles, CA, USA.
What's your business, and who are your customers?
CFND Behavioral Health is a digital mental health organization that has the honor of serving over fifteen thousand clients monthly across the Pacific West Coast. We are dedicated to making a difference by being rooted in values, innovation, connection, and growth.
Tell us about yourself
I am originally from a very small town outside of Fort Worth, Texas. Mental health was not a household word – or something that was commonly spoken about throughout my local community. I got into the mental health field when I was nineteen years old after my best friend committed suicide in front of me… Looking back, this field was a healing step for me as I was able to find answers as to why things such as this happen and help other people and their families avoid or recover from tragedies such as this. Making mental health care affordable and accessible to people will be my life’s work, and I am truly honored to serve alongside so many incredible people who share the same passion.
What's your biggest accomplishment as a business owner?
Creating a community of hope and healing for over 300 employees and over 150,000 clients annually. Sometimes I find myself in tears when reflecting on the impact we are having in the lives of many. CFND Behavioral Health is made up of some of the most hard-working, dedicated providers I have ever met. Together, we have built something that helps so many people… I am in awe of where we are at and are diligent in our continued impact.
What's one of the hardest things that come with being a business owner?
For myself, it has been to let go of specific areas of the business. When you are so involved in building something, it is difficult to hand parts of the organization over. As a leader, it is important to identify your own limitations and bring people in that you can trust to bring your organization to the next level of success.
What are the top tips you'd give to anyone looking to start, run and grow a business today?
- Surround yourself with people who inspire you and push you to be the best version of yourself. You will never reach a high level of success without a community of people making it happen along the way.
- Mental toughness is the vessel between dreams and accomplishments. You will fail. Feel isolated. Take things too personally. Say the wrong things. Be held to a higher standard that often feels unachievable. You will be expected to have all the answers and feel judged when you don’t. Being a leader is the most difficult thing I have ever done. It is a 24/7 responsibility, and I still don’t get everything done. If you are looking to build something bigger than yourself, understand that it is going to take all of you to build it… You are a human who is doing hard things. Give yourself grace… Get up, dust yourself off and lead with humility.
- Identify your core values as a person and have them bleed throughout your organization.
Our core values at CFND Behavioral Health are MASH:
- Move from the heart.
- Acceptance and respect for all.
- Sincere gratitude and passion for life.
- Honor and integrity.
Once you identify what matters to you, it will be easier to focus on what really matters. It is easier to hire people when you know what you are looking for. It is easier to fire people when you can identify those who do not match your core. Use your core values to create a culture that makes you proud. Understand that we all make mistakes – however, if I can look at myself in the mirror and know that I moved from MASH - I am ok with the outcome.
Where can people find you and your business?
If you like what you've read here and have your own story as a solo or small business entrepreneur that you'd like to share, then please answer these interview questions. We'd love to feature your journey on these pages.
Turn your craft into recurring revenue with Subkit. Start your subscription offering in minutes and supercharge it with growth levers. Get early access here.