Interested in starting your own entrepreneurial journey but unsure what to expect? Then read up on our interview with Mehrdad Mansouri, President of Assisting 101, located in Atlanta, GA, USA.
What's your business, and who are your customers?
Assisting 101 is a dental assisting school that is approved by Georgia Board of Dentistry & Georgia nonpublic postsecondary education commission. We offer both in-person classes throughout the Georgia area and online classes. Our comprehensive and up-to-date curricula cover all aspects of dental assisting, and we have a strong reputation within the dental community with graduates who are highly regarded by employers and peers.
The customers of Assisting 101 are individuals who are seeking to become dental assistants or advance their careers in the dental industry. This includes recent high school graduates, career changers, and working professionals who want to improve their skills or obtain certification. We also offer continuing education courses for current dental assistants who want to expand their knowledge and skills. Dental offices are also our customers, as they may hire our graduates to work in their offices.
Tell us about yourself
I saw a need in the dental industry for a dental assisting school that focuses on hands-on training for dental assistants and career advancement programs for the other team members in the dental practice. We created Assisting 101 with the vision that the student's success comes first. This means that we thought of what the dentist and dental practice is looking for in their employees. We then created a program that teaches students to learn and become confident in a short period of time.
What motivates me is ensuring that students succeed academically and achieve their career goals is a top priority for Assisting 101. I want to continue to provide up-to-date resources and support necessary to help students succeed.
What's your biggest accomplishment as a business owner?
- Innovation: Creating a program that helps students become confident, high-performing, and successful dental assistants in only 10 weeks.
- Making a positive impact: Helping people find a career that is rewarding. Being able to give people the opportunity to have affordable tuition that rewards them with a stable income. Showing people the advancement opportunities within their careers, so they continue to grow.
- Creating a positive company culture: I believe that creating a positive environment for faculty and students is the most important part of a successful school. An environment should be stimulating, welcoming, organized, and fun. We want every person to have a great experience at Assisting 101.
What's one of the hardest things that comes with being a business owner?
Recruiting and training faculty that are passionate about the goals of the company and teaching students how to become successful. I am so lucky to have an amazing group of teachers that love working with the students.
What are the top tips you'd give to anyone looking to start, run and grow a business today?
Starting and running a business is both exciting and challenging.
- Build a team: Building a strong team of employees, advisors, and mentors can help you grow your business and navigate challenges along the way. Seek out individuals with diverse skills and experience who can help you achieve your goals.
- Stay organized: Keeping track of finances, inventory, and customer data is crucial to the success of your business.
- Stay flexible and adaptable: Starting a business can be unpredictable, and it's important to stay flexible and adaptable as you navigate changes and challenges. Stay open to feedback, adjust your strategies as needed, and be willing to pivot if your initial approach isn't working.
Where can people find you and your business?
If you like what you've read here and have your own story as a solo or small business entrepreneur that you'd like to share, then please answer these interview questions. We'd love to feature your journey on these pages.
Turn your craft into recurring revenue with Subkit. Start your subscription offering in minutes and supercharge it with growth levers. Get early access here.