Interested in starting your own entrepreneurial journey in food and beverage unsure what to expect? Then read up on our interview with John Myers, Founder of Amazing Vino Clarity, located in Pueblo West, CO, USA.
What's your business, and who are your customers?
Amazing Vino Clarity is an online Italian wine education membership site. My customers are busy adults interested in learning more about Italian wine without the structure of a "course." They are looking for the knowledge they can apply when purchasing Italian wine in a restaurant or local retailer.
Tell us about yourself
Over 30 yrs ago, I caught the wine bug as a food server. I realized how amazing good food and wine could be. What a great pleasure any person can experience. I opened a wine shop in a beer-drinking town for 14 yrs. ago and loved that opportunity to not only educate people but to expose them to non-mainstream wines and brands. That enlightenment continues with this website, but now I can reach a larger audience through the internet. I am motivated by the chance I have to share all this knowledge. The opportunity to make someone's day that much better. To experience the pleasures of great Italian wine!
What's your biggest accomplishment as a business owner?
My biggest accomplishment is twofold.
- Being open and operating a business. It is challenging to own and operate a business. The responsibilities are usually more significant than you planned. The start-up phase is challenging because you don't always get the rewards for the effort until much later.
- Meeting great people and enjoying the growing relationship with each of them. Maybe they are not your best friends, but people that can make your day a little bit brighter. If they feel like they are a better person after spending time with me, then that is the real satisfaction.
What's one of the hardest things that comes with being a business owner?
For me, it is having the discipline to do the things you must do, even when you don't feel like it or want to. If you have a partner, you can often share tasks or responsibilities. When it is just you, you grit your teeth, complain to yourself, and just work on it until it is done.
What are the top tips you'd give to anyone looking to start, run and grow a business today?
- Research your idea before you invest money. Determining if there is a market for your business, who or what the competition is, it is worth your time and money to have the business.
- Establish goals. Yearly, monthly, weekly, and daily goals keep you focused on success and help you overcome the bad days. Putting together a business plan is excellent for you to see the "big picture" of your business. Time-stamped goals launch the execution of your plan and lead you down the path of success.
- Don't give up! Don't quit! Once you have made the commitment, stay the course; get stubborn!
Where can people find you and your business?
If you like what you've read here and have your own story as a solo or small business entrepreneur that you'd like to share, then please answer these interview questions. We'd love to feature your journey on these pages.
Turn your craft into recurring revenue with Subkit. Start your subscription offering in minutes and supercharge it with growth levers. Get early access here.