Interested in starting your own entrepreneurial journey in marketing but unsure what to expect? Then read up on our interview with Alina Zerpa, Founder of A to Z Social Agency, located in Miami, FL, USA.
What's your business, and who are your customers?
A to Z Social Agency is a social media & marketing agency based in South Florida that covers, well, all things a to z! Whether it's social media, content creation, public relations, reputation management, brand strategizing, influencer marketing, websites, emails, texts, and anything else under the sun, we take care of it.
Working in this industry has been entertaining, to say the least. Underneath my nails, there is always a little bit of chocolate, an LED light is always in my purse (because you never know), and my phone is never on Do Not Disturb. And I wouldn't have it any other way.
Tell us about yourself
I began A to Z Social in 2020, but the idea of having my own social media agency was born back in 2018. I was fresh out of the University of Miami with a double major in journalism and psychology and wanted to use my skills to tell stories. While it wasn't on-camera at a news station, I got rather good at telling a brand's story online through my own blog, From A to Z. Mid-pandemic, I was interviewing various businesses just to give them extra PR love at a time when it seemed like the world was coming to an end. My mother looked at me and goes, "I'm not sure what's taken you so long to start your own thing."
The LLC was filed on August 26, 2020, and by September 2, I had my first client signed (and Sports Grill has been with me ever since). Two years later, we have a diverse portfolio of clients, a growing number of employees, and the future ahead of us.
What's your biggest accomplishment as a business owner?
There are two accomplishments tied for first:
- Expanding the team was a massive OH MY GOODNESS! moment. To have enough work and clients to be able to grow the business feels like a very out-of-body experience. It has definitely provided motivation to keep growing and adding to the team.
- The second, tied-for-first accomplishment was when I got my first referral. Again, another surreal moment. Like, who am I to be receiving this!!!
What's one of the hardest things that comes with being a business owner?
This business is now your 24/7 child. I always say I think I'm hard to be with (whether it be friends or romantically) because I am always working. I remember one time I went on a trip with some friends and woke up early to answer some emails and post some stories; they were all confused about why I was on "vacation" and still working. You just gotta do it.
What are the top tips you'd give to anyone looking to start, run and grow a business today?
- If you wait for it to be "perfect," you'll never be ready.
- My mom always tells me, "Tocar no es entrar" (Knocking doesn't mean you enter). It's the phrase that gave me the courage to ask my first client if they wanted a proposal.
- You are capable. Not everyone is meant for this kind of lifestyle and if you think you can do it, GO FOR IT!!!
Where can people find you and your business?
If you like what you've read here and have your own story as a solo or small business entrepreneur that you'd like to share, then please answer these interview questions. We'd love to feature your journey on these pages.
Turn your craft into recurring revenue with Subkit. Start your subscription offering in minutes and supercharge it with growth levers. Get early access here.